1 being or relating to or like a chimera; "his Utopia is not as chimeric commonwealth but a practical improvement on what already exists"- Doublas Bush [syn: chimeric, chimeral]
2 produced by a wildly fanciful imagination; "his Utopia is not a chimerical commonwealth but a practical improvement on what already exists"- Douglas Bush
EtymologyFrom chimera < chimaera, < |. This term entered English around 1638.
of or pertaining to a chimera
being a figment of the imagination
Chimera, chimaira or chimaera may refer to:
- Chimera (mythology), a monstrous creature made of the parts of multiple animals
- Chimera (genetics), a single animal organism with genetically distinct cells from two different zygotes
- Chimera (architecture), a fantastic, mythical or grotesque decorative feature
- Chimera (plant), a single plant organism with genetically distinct cells from two different zygotes or from a mixed-species callus
- Chimera (virus), a virus containing genetic material from other organisms
- Chimera (protein), a hybrid protein made by splicing two genes
- Chimera (EST), a single cDNA sequence originating from two transcripts; possibly an artefact
- In paleontology, a taxon composed of the fossils of several different species but presumed to be from one species
- Chimaera, a cartilaginous fish related to sharks
- Chimaera (genus), the namesake genus of the order Chimaeriformes, to which chimaeras belong
- Chimera (band), an Irish group who released one American album, Earth Loop, in 1996
- Chimera, a 2003 album by John Zorn
- Chimera, a 1983 solo album by Bill Nelson
- Chimera (album), a 2003 album by Delerium
- Chimera, a 2002 album by The Cost
- Chimera (Mayhem album)
- Chimera (Andromeda album)
- "Chimera", a song by Duncan Sheik from a version of Daylight
- Chimaira (band), a heavy metal band from Cleveland, Ohio
- "Chimaera", a song by Bad Religion off their 1992 album Generator
- "Chimera", a song from The Tea Party's 1999 album Triptych
- "Chimera", a song by Yahpp, former leader of the group Banya, for the game Pump It Up NX
- "Chimeras", a track from Tim Hecker's album Harmony in Ultraviolet
- "Chimera Obscurant", a song by The Velvet Teen from their 2004 album Elysium
- Chimaera (Well of Echoes), a novel by Ian Irvine
- Chimera (CrossGen), a comic book published by CrossGen Entertainment in 2003
- Chimera (DS9 episode), a season 7 episode in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Chimera (NCIS), a season 5 episode and the name of the USN Ship in the TV show NCIS
- Chimera (Fullmetal Alchemist), characters in the anime series Fullmetal Alchemist
- Chimera (novel)
- "Chimera" (Stargate SG-1), an episode in the television series Stargate SG-1
- Chimera Anima, a name grouping of animals possessed by parasites in Tokyo Mew Mew
- Chimera (The X-Files), an episode of The X-files''
- Chimera APCa dedicated transport tank in the Imperial Guard, Warhammer 40000
- A race of interstellar beings in the TV show "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict"
- A race in the collectible card game Duel Masters
- A virus in the movie Mission: Impossible II
- Composite creatures in the anime series Slayers
- Chimera (short story) written by Korean fantasy novelist Lee Youngdo, based on the world of his other novel Dragon Raja
- Chimera (MÄR), an important antagonist in the manga series MÄR: Märchen Awakens Romance.
- A Chimera is a magical beast in the fantasy role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons
- The Chimera APC is a vehicle of the Imperial Guard in the tabletop miniatures game Warhammer 40,000.
- The world in which the computer video game Harlequin takes place
- A mutated insect-like creature in Resident Evil
- The Chimera are the antagonist forces featured in Resistance: Fall of Man
- A unit for Night Elves in Warcraft 3
- Chimera is a recurring enemy in the Final Fantasy series.
- In the Dragon Quest videogame series, a chimera is a type of monster with a vulture head and a worm body. It has been called wyvern outside of Japan.
- In the Korean rhythm and dance simulation game Pump It Up, the song entitled Chimera is considered to be the most difficult song in the game (it was added in New Xenesis version).
- In the game Eve-Online the Chimera is the Caldari factions carrier class warship.
- In the game Mother 3, the Pig Army is responsible for creating a large number of chimera. Most of them are very strange combinations of organisms, such as the Muttshroom, which is a dog/mushroom hybrid chimera.
- A defensive space station in Homeworld 2.
- Chimera is a Commodore 64 title released by Firebird in 1985.
- In the game Devil May Cry 4, a Chimera seed seeks out host bodies and sprouts on them, making them tougher to kill.
- House with Chimaeras, and architectural monument in Kiev, Ukraine
- TVR Chimaera, a model of sports car made by TVR
- Camino, a free Mac OS X web browser, whose name was Chimera until it was changed for legal reasons
- Chimera %28web browser%29, a web browser for UNIX workstations.
- Jason Chimera, an NHL forward for the Columbus Blue Jackets
chimerical in Czech: Chiméra
chimerical in Danish: Kimære
chimerical in German: Chimera
chimerical in Spanish: Quimera
chimerical in French: Chimera
chimerical in Korean: 키메라
chimerical in Italian: Chimera
chimerical in Lithuanian: Chimera (reikšmės)
chimerical in Dutch: Chimaera
chimerical in Polish: Chimera
chimerical in Portuguese: Quimera (desambiguação)
chimerical in Slovak: Chiméra
Barmecidal, Barmecide, absurd, aerial, air-built, airy, ambitious, apparent, apparitional, autistic, chimeric, cloud-born, cloud-built, cloud-woven, deceptive, delusional, delusionary, delusive, delusory, dereistic, dreamlike, dreamy, erroneous, ethereal, fabulous, fallacious, false, fanciful, fantastic, fatuitous, fatuous, fictional, fictive, gaseous, gossamery, illusional, illusionary, illusive, illusory, imaginary, misleading, mythical, ostensible, phantasmagoric, phantasmal, phantom, phantomlike, preposterous, pretentious, rarefied, seeming, self-deceptive, self-deluding, shadowy, specious, spectral, spirituous, subtile, subtle, supposititious, tenuous, unactual, unfounded, unreal, unsubstantial, utopian, vaporous, vapory, visionary, windy